SerialNet is a network system for two computers connected via their serial ports. SerialNET behaves just like a full network. You can drag and drop files and applications. Produce a file on one machine and save it directly from an application to the hard disk on another machine. SerialNET version 1.5 includes:
- Message sending from one station to another.
- Drag and drop transfer of files.
- Block file transfer for multiple files.
- ALL file transfer as a background task.
- Background network printing - share 1 printer between 2 machines or have 2 machines with two printers and print to either one.
- Transfer rates up to 12K a second are possible on Risc OS 3.1 machines.
- Faster transfer between two Risc PC or A7000 computers of up to 120K per second.
- Auto sync of baud rates.
- Loads files and applications.
- Transmit and receive routines hand coded in assembler.
- Specially coded file integrity routines to ensure that all files are transmitted with no errors.
- Full on screen manual.
- Send text files directly from one machine to a wordprocessor on the other.
- Full on screen reports of file transfer status, current speed and total speed.
- Supports up to 6 remote disks of any type.
- Compatible with ADFS, SCSI, IDEFS, QuadFS and all other filing systems.
- Full remote disk access, multiple RiscOS filer windows. Drag and drop files/apps.
- Multi-tasking file retrieval. Drag a file from a SerialNET filer window to an application. Then keep working, once SerialNET has transferred the file it will automatically be inserted for you.
- Large, Small and Full Info filer displays.
- Easy to set up, just connect the cable and then load the software.
- Fully compatible with Risc OS 3.1 or later.
- Supports Atomwide and Serial Port fast serial cards.
- Runner Up Best Network Software Acorn User 96
- "..easily 4-5 times the speed of a fast modem." Acorn User Oct 1996
- "...well pleased..." Mr A. Ashford
- "I am very happy with the results...many thanks for your usual superb service." Mr P. Hants
- "..the most profesionally presented acorn product i have so far purchased; and of course it does what it is designed to do." Mr B. Yorks.
- "...worked really well and is a great product." Mr R. Byfleet
- "I am very pleased to find such a simple and effective serial set-up." Dr R. Byfleet
- "Serialnet is a cracker!...the software is most elegant and a delight to use." Prof T. Harrow
- "...honed to be as fast as is possible.." Geoff Preston Acorn User Feb 97
- "...well thought out, well presented, fast and straightforward." Archive Jan 1997
- Time taken to transfer 100K file SerialNET 5 seconds / RSDFS 27 seconds Archive Jan 1997
- "...half the price and 4 times the speed, (serialnet) has got to be the winner." Archive Jan 1997 RSDFS and SerialNET
- "Many thanks for a superb application!" Mr C Cumbria
- "...of considerable help..." Mr R. Essex
- "Serialnet has worked perfectly and is a genuinely useful program." Mr C. Nairn
- "..faster than alternatives...highly recommended..does what it sets out to do admirably" Risc User April 97
- "...I am most impressed...does everything we need...far superior to remotefs..." Mr B London
- "...as usual great value..." Mr C. Redruth
- "Thank you for serialnet - it's great!" Mr C. Porthleven
- "Excellent product" Mr M. Ipswich
SerialNET requires RISC OS 3.1 or later, a hard disk and 1Mb of RAM (2Mb recommended). Supplied without a cable but with a wiring diagram. A3000 machines may need a serial port upgrade to work with SerialNET, please consult your local dealer.
This Web site was hand coded by iSV products.
All contents are © The estate of David Holden and/or 3QD Developments Ltd 2015
Graphics constructed using DrawWorks Millennium