Aaron Timbrell rounds up the software directory
Our full free commercial application this issue is Dr Fonty, the font editor from iSV Products, now a part of APDL (incorporated).
This version is the original 26 bit release, a 32 bit Iyonix compatible version is available directly from APDL for only £10 inclusive of UK p&p. (non RISCWorld subscriber price is £14.90)
Dr Fonty is an enthusiasts version of FontFiend (the professional font editor). However Dr Fonty has a number of additions including routines that prevent a font with damaged scaffolding being saved out by the user. Dr Fonty's many features include:
- On line illustrated manual that can be printed with any RISC OS printer driver.
- Supports interactive help.
- Both global font and individual character button bars.
- Export fonts in PC PostScript format.
- Full time context sensitive on-line help system on the Dr Fonty button bar. This can be disabled if the user wishes.
- Loads RISC OS 2, RISC OS 3 and Base 0 Acorn outline fonts.
- Saves out in RISC OS 2 or RISC Os 3 format, RISC OS 3 fonts can include kerning and misc data areas.
- Can also load Kerning files from FontFiend or FontKern.
- Can import & export draw files and incorporate them in existing or new fonts.
- Transformation system to make new weights from existing fonts. When transforming Dr Fonty will also shift composite characters, correct accents, move scaffolds & skeletons as well as disconnecting any scaffolds that are no longer valid.
- Edit a fonts misc data area including underline position and thickness.
- Real time dragging of composites using the mouse.
- Offers the same main table features as FontED including copy characters, insert composites and copy scaffolds..
- Can repair damaged fonts that will not work or load into FontED.
- Can load fonts that FontED cannot. For example fonts with ”Cyclic Scaffold Link• errors.
- Display both outline and filled versions of characters.
- Can save out protected fonts that cannot be examined by a user.
- Convert composite characters to real outlines and skeletons.
- Full manual scaffolding control.
- Can delete defective scaffolds or skeletons.
- Includes special filters to clean excess control points, grid lock characters e.t.c.
- Flip characters either horizontally or vertically.
- Make "open" fonts easily and quickly.
- Alter the weight of a font in either the X or Y axis.
- Dr Fonty requires RISC Os 3.1 or later, a hard disk and 4Mb of RAM (8Mb recommended).
- "...Dr Fonty is a super addition to my main application group...much easier to use than the old Fonted...highly recommended." Archive
- "...excellent font editor." Acorn User
The complete DiscWorld line up
As per usual we have our collections of the latest RISC OS games and applications, as well as support files for this issues articles. So the full DiscWorld line up looks something like this:
CD Inlays from Volume 4 Issue 4 onwards.
The full commercial 26bit release of DrFonty, free for RISCWorld subscribers.
Support files from our DTP special feature, including some example Impression documents.
All the games from this issues games world column.
Life game by Martin Carradus.
All the latest PD, shareware and freeware releases from the PD column.
This contains two sets of Toolbox Modules. The Castle archive contains the latest 26/32 bit neutral system components, required if you want to run a lot of new software releases on 26bit machines (ie. anything that isn't an Iyonix). The RISCOS Ltd archive contains later and improved versions of a number of modules and is suitable for all versions of RISC OS from 3.1 onwards.